Simple mini apple pie recipe, no pie plate or muffin tin required!
These mini apple pies are the perfect handheld dessert (or breakfast 🤫). They are also super easy to make.
Mini Apple Pie
Super simple handheld mini apple pies.
Apple Pie Filling
- 4 Apples
- 4 Tbsp Butter
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 6 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Flour
- 1 cup Flour
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/3 cup Lard
- 2 Egg
- 1 Tbsp Vinegar
- 1 cup Water approximately
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C (395°F)
Apple pie filling
- Peel and dice the apples
- Add apples to a pot with the cinnamon, sugar, butter, and flour
- Place the pot over a medium heat
- Stirring regularly cook the apples until you have a smooth but thick sauce.
- If the mixture begins to get too thick you can thin it by adding a splash of water
- The apples don't need to be cooked through as they'll get cooked further in the oven.
- In a medium sized bowl combine the flour and salt
- Cut the lard into small chunks and then add it to the flour in batches
- Mix the lard into the flour using a pastry cutter or fork, until it looks like coarse oatmeal
- In a 1cup measuring cup beat one of the eggs and add the vinegar to it. Add enough water to make a full cup
- DO NOT add all the liquid to the flour. Add in about a tablespoon at a time until the dough just comes together (you won't use all the liquid, you can discard the rest)
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and roll it into a ball. Roll out the dough to approximately 1/8 inch thick.
- Use a cookie cutter, glass, or a jar to cut circles of dough 2-3 inches in diameter.
Assembly and baking
- Place half of the dough circles onto a tray lined with parchment.
- Scoop a few spoonfuls of filling into the centre of each. Make sure the filling does not go all the way to the edge.
- Beat the other egg in a small bowl with some water to make an egg wash. Brush it onto the dough all the way around the filling using a pastry brush or your finger.
- Place the remaining dough circles onto of each. Then use a fork to crimp and seal all the edges.
- Lightly brush the tops with some of the egg wash.
- Use a sharp knife to cut two vents into the top
- Place the assembled pies into the pre-heated oven for 30-35min or until golden brown on top.
I love cinnamon so I can be a little heavy handed with it, feel free to adjust to your taste.
Related: Homemade Mac n Cheese