So I’ve discovered that the English consider crepes pancakes and what I would call a pancake they refer to as American pancakes. Everyone in my flat disagrees with this including my flatmate from France who says crepes and pancakes are two different things. Instead, we’ve come to the conclusion the English are weird.
Anyways, how this came about was for pancake day we decided to make pancakes and crepes for dinner. We decided on savory crepes for dinner and pancakes for dessert. We didn’t have a recipe in mind so we just started throwing whatever we had in the fridge together. The crepes were so good that we ended up making them again that same week, so I thought I would share the recipe.
How to make the crepes
You want to start off by making your batter as it needs to rest for about 30 minutes. Start by mixing the flour and salt together and then add in the milk, eggs, and butter. Use a whisk to blend it all together, making sure that it is smooth with no lumps. Crepe batter should be thinner than pancake batter, almost the consistency of heavy cream, you can add more milk if you need to make it thinner.
How to make the filling
While your crepe batter is resting you can start on the filling. In a pan heat your oil on medium heat. While it is heating clean and thinly slice the mushrooms then add them to the pan. Once the mushrooms have started to brown add garlic, salt, pepper, and dried thyme, stir then add chopped bacon.
Once the bacon is cooked add roughly half a bag of spinach to the mixture (add more if you like) and cook down the spinach until wilted then add in approx 2-3 tablespoons of double cream. Cook until the cream is slightly thickened.
In another pan that has been heated on medium heat, cook the crepe. To get the crepe nice and thin pour the batter into the centre of the pan and then tilt the pan in a circular motion in order to let the batter spread evenly. Once the crepe is cooked top with the filling and add thin slices of mozzarella and goat cheese. Fold the crepe and serve.Jump to Recipe
Spinach, Bacon and Mushroom Crepes
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 300 g Mushrooms
- 150 g Bacon approximately half a pack
- 1/2 bag Fresh spinach
- 2 tbsp Double cream
- 200 g Mozzarella
- 100 g Goat's cheese
- 1 Cup Flour
- 2 Eggs
- 3/4 Cup Milk
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 Tbsp Melted Butter
- 1 T Butter or Oil to grease pan
- Wisk together the flour, eggs, milk, salt and melted butter in a bowl
- Set aside and let rest for approximately 30 min
- Cook in a skillet on medium heat
Spinach and Mushroom Filling
- Heat oil in pan on medium heat
- Thinly slice mushrooms
- Add mushrooms to pan and cook until they begin to brown
- Add in chopped bacon, garlic, thyme, salt and peper
- Once bacon has browned add in fresh spinach and cook until wilted
- Add cream and allow to thicken
- Top cooked crepe in the pan with cooked filling
- Add on slices of goat cheese and shredded mozzarella
- Fold crepe around filling and serve