French toast is super easy to make and a great way to use up bread that is starting to go stale. This French toast has a bit of sugar in the egg mixture which adds a bit of sweetness and helps you get a crispy golden crust on the outside.
What kind of bread should you use?
The best kind of bread to use is something like a thick sliced French bread. You get a nice fluffy piece of French toast the is soft on the inside with a crisp outside.
That being said, you can use any type of bread to make French toast. My family often uses regular sliced bread and it works fine. I will note that if your bread is too fresh then it tends to fall apart quite easily.
What to put on your French toast?
I usually top my French toast simply with butter and maple syrup, which I always have in my fridge. But you can also top it with whipped cream, fresh fruit, powdered sugar, or make your own fruit sauce to go on top (my moms go-to is a quick strawberry sauce using frozen strawberries).
RELATED: Easy Mini Apple Pie Recipe
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 2 slices bread
- Beat the eggs with a fork in a bowl or shallow dish
- Add in the milk, sugar and spices and mix thoroughly
- Place the bread in the egg mixture and allow it to soak up the mixture, then flip it over so both sides are saturated
- Heat a pan with butter over medium heat
- Once the butter is fully melted add the soaked bread and cook until golden brown on both sides. (about 3 minutes each side)